11.16.2010

The Patterned Streets of Jingdezhen








































On a recent trip to Jingdezhen I found myself photographing mundane objects like walls, gates, and windows. These everyday architectural fixtures are filled with layers of pattern that continually interest me. After hours of carefully painting pots I find it comforting to look at the irregular erosion on a brick wall. It feels refreshing because the surfaces are not intentional. They are biproducts of many variables acting upon each other over a long period of time. I try to replicate this aged surface in the way I dip my pots in thin white slip. When the application is just right you can see a red halo on the edge of handles and slip trailed lines. This type of ghost line is something I'm trying to master in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment