1.16.2010

Blind Pig and the Acorn Blog


















I just found a great Appalachian heritage blog, Blind Pig and the Acorn. I especially like this excerpt about Hog Killing Day. Go Here to read the rest of it.

"My uncle Blueford Dyer was the designated person at Granddad's to do the actual killing of the hog. He had a 22 rifle that he usually used. He'd put a little fresh corn in the trough to attract the chosen 'victim', and knew the exact spot on the pig's snout to lay the barrel against so that the bullet went through the hog's sinus cavities without breaking much bone, and entered the spinal cord, which usually instantly dispatched the pig. Not only mercy was involved in this method. "Everything but the squeal" was used from a hog carcass, and the brains were considered a delicacy. My granddad always had scrambled eggs and hog brains for supper on the evening of a hog killin. But one year, Uncle Blueford put the gun against the pig's snout, pulled the trigger, and after the shot, the pig just shook its head and went on eating. The 22 rifle short cartridge hadn't had enough power to break through the hog's snout! So Uncle Blueford got a 22 long rifle shell and fired it-same result. Just a little trickle of blood, and you could see the back end of the bullet embedded in the bone of the hog's snout. Blueford got mad! He went to his truck and pulled out his 30-30 deer rifle. Needless to say, granddad didn't get any brains to eat for supper that year. They were too full of bone fragments." By Keith Jones

Tipper writes the blog and tells about its name. "The unique name of this site comes from an old saying "Even a blind pig can find an acorn every once in a while." When I first started out in early spring of 2008 the saying behind the name was often in my thoughts-as I didn't really know if I could accomplish what I wanted too-but I sincerly hope like the blind pig-I'll find the acorn.

Appalachia is a haven for artisans of all genres. I believe historically this shows the independence that is often associated with mountain folk. They depended on themselves or their neighbors to supply the necessities of life: clothing, quilts, food, soap and even entertainment. I feature profiles of Mountain Folk who show an inclination to old time ways, to old time traditional music and to art. Whether someone is detailing how to can green beans, plant corn, quilt, or simply telling about their life, there is a wealth of information to be gathered from the people of the Appalachian Mountains. You can see the profiles as they are posted and on the Mountain Folk page.

Just saying the word "Appalachian" brings to mind music. I grew up in a musical family and was blessed to hear traditional Appalachian music on a daily basis. Pickin & Grinnin is a regular spot here and will feature my family's music.

For some Appalachia might bring to mind The Beverly Hillbillies and the quirky, feisty Granny. I think Grannies have been, and still are a tremendous asset to the world. Both my Grannies (although one was called Mamaw) were a huge influence in my life-after all they each raised people who went on to become my parents. My mom is now Granny to my girls, niece and nephews. I must admit some of The Beverly Hillbillies' Granny characteristics, though exaggerated, are true. I have a Grannyisms page where you can read about funny, quirky or inspiring things said or done by my Grannies and leave posts about your Granny and the influence she made on your life.


Generosity is a trait that comes to mind when I think of my life in Appalachia. I am continuing the tradition with Spread The Love, a monthly give away. To be entered all you have to do is post a comment to one of the blog posts or to the Grannyism page.

I hope you stop by the Blind Pig & The Acorn often to visit with the past, the present, and gain a hope for the future."





No comments:

Post a Comment